Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux Distro?

New 4x4 Ham Member
    As a very long time GNU/Linux user (specifically Slackware Linux www.slackware.com), asking this without qualification is like asking what beer you like. Some distros like Slackware are meant to be very UNIX like, many of the popular ones (especially Ubuntu) are meant to be winblows-like, and others are more for embedded hardware like the Pi. If you're using Android, you're already using the Linux kernel, but a rather different user space--one reason I run Android on my phone. (Also, I don't like Apple as a company or have a membership in the Cult of Jobs.)

Anyway, the authoritative place to look is Distro Watch www.distrowatch.com They also cover the BSD's which are free UNIX but not Linux, which is technically UNIX-like. If you like Apple, iOS and especially OS-X were originally NetBSD under the hood but the code-bases have diverged quite a bit since then, mainly since Apple's is mostly close-source. (The BSD license allows this--forking and closing the source code--while the GNU license (which Linux is under) does not. This only matters if you want to be completely legal, of course!

Hope this helps, Mike

I have Linux mint 16.1 on a desk top and lap top. I like the system. I'm learning about Linux because I'm setting up a raspberry pi 3 and a TNC pi (http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm) to run Pigate and aprs.

I have lubuntu running on a pair of dell 6400's here for my kids

not a bad OS

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KF7ORO's Avatar
    I've been using Mint and Arch mostly for a while now. I think I'm going to put Fedora 25 on my home file server hard drive though. Since that machine's on all the time I want to try to get SELinux running on that. After messing with it for a few weeks in a virtual machine I like it. It seems to have all the ham software I want in the repos.
    Brian - KF7ORO

4x4 Ham Member
    I use Arch for desktop/laptops and Debian Stable for servers. I don't want my servers updating constantly, so debian works better for that. On the other hand, I like a bleeding edge desktop, so Arch is good for that. Plus, with Arch, you have to get your hands dirty to get it installed and set up the way you want it.

I really do like Arch. There's a definite learning curve to it but the rolling release is fairly unique and it's nice not to have to worry if upgrading from one version to the next will work. That's been a shortfall of Fedora for a long time but apparently they've put some work to fixing that so I'm going to give it a try for a while. If it doesn't work out so well, maybe I'll try CentOS on the server.
    Brian - KF7ORO

4x4 Ham Member
    LMDE because its slick like Mint but has a true Debian base
    in fact the Minty folks were talking about dumping Ubuntu and making Mint a Debian based
    but this Arch talk has me thinking about it again........

but i normally just install Debian Hamradio Blend then your rtl_sdr dongle will just work !

The only bad thing about Arch for Ham radio use is that lots of the software you want, like fldigi, is in the AUR. That means the software isn't pre-packaged. But there is a file that will help you build a package from the source code. So it's not super hard to use Arch for Ham radio but it's harder than lots of other distros.
    Brian - KF7ORO

4x4 Ham Member
    if you use something like yaourt, the AUR isn't a problem at all. It keeps everything up to date nicely. Besides, as hams, getting our hands dirty is part of the fun!

4x4 Ham Member
    I use Mint 18.1, XFCE version. Works fine for me.

4x4 Ham Member
    im one of those guys that installs 15 different desktops so i never really know what i started with
    but for sure it was Debian when i started !