Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Area Packet Chat

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KE7KUS's Avatar

Phoenix Area Packet Chat

For anyone interested in dusting off their TNC, I'm planning on being on the White Tanks 145.710MHz packet repeater tomorrow night beginning at 8:15pm. I'll be there throughout the regular Wednesday night 2m net, and later if there's interest. I'll be coming into the machine via the co-located 9600 baud machine. The two nodes are tied together via a serial link...here is their relevant info:

White Tanks Packet Nodes

2m Node
    Freq: 145.710 MHz
    Baud: 1200 baud
    Call: W7MOT-6
    Alias: WHTNKS

70cm Node
    Freq: 438.975 MHz
    Baud: 9600 baud
    Call: W7MOT-13
    Alias: #WHTNK

To connect to either node, make sure you are in the proper baud mode, radio set to simplex, and the MYCALL parameter on your TNC is set to your callsign (+ SSID if desired). Connect to the node by typing "C W7MOT-6" or "C W7MOT-13" from your TNC cmd: prompt. Once you are in the machine, type "T" (for Talk) to enter that machine's chat room. When you want to leave the chat room, type "/ex" and to log out of the packet node, type "B" (for Bye). It's that simple.

For those doing Ragnar this year, I will probably have this exact same setup going at my checkpoint, so there will be a packet back-channel chatroom for anyone who wants to log in and participate. This would be a good chance to test out your setup if you want to participate in that during Ragnar.

Kurt
    KE7KUS

While I'm thinking about it...I will have my D710 listening on 438.975 for the next couple of days. It has a mailbox on-board, so if you're feeling like tinkering around with packet, connect to the W7MOT-13 (either directly if you are 9600 baud/70cm capable, or via the 2m 145.710 machine if you have 1200baud/2m capability) and then try connecting to KE7KUS-9. If you want to connect directly to my mailbox, from the W7MOT-13 machine, try connecting to 4XMAIL and see if that that works. Let me know if you have success. If I successfully receive your message I'll post it up here.

Sorry for the late notice, but will have to cancel this due to work obligations. I'll shoot for next week to try again.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member K7DCL's Avatar
    I connected to W7MOT-6 but was not able to connect to KE7KUS.

Quote Originally Posted by K7DCL View Post
    I connected to W7MOT-6 but was not able to connect to KE7KUS.
    I'm over on the 9600 baud side. From W7MOT-6 you have to connect to W7MOT-13, then to KE7KUS-9. The connection between W7MOT-6 and W7MOT-13 is a serial connection, so you don't necessarily need 9600 baud capability; however, if you have it...try connecting directly to W7MOT-13 and then to KE7KUS-9.

Once you make it into the W7MOT-13 machine, if you type "MH" it will list the stations recently heard by the packet node. You should see my node listed in there. I don't think the 4XMAIL alias shows up on the MH command...you just have to know to connect to it from W7MOT-13...at least that's the way I think it works...I haven't tried to remotely connect to my own node yet. If you find out something different, let me know.

I'm getting a "*** Retry count exceeded *** DISCONNECTED" message on both w7mot-6 and w7mot-13.

Quote Originally Posted by K7DCL View Post
    I'm getting a "*** Retry count exceeded *** DISCONNECTED" message on both w7mot-6 and w7mot-13.
    I checked the MHeard list on both W7MOT-6 and W7MOT-13...neither show having heard you. Check the MYCALL parameter on your TNC and make sure it is set to your callsign and does not say something like "N0CALL". At the TNC command prompt, simply type:
    MYCALL
    The TNC will return the setting. To change it type:
    MYCALL K7DCL
    You can add a separate SSID to the parameter so you differentiate if you have multiple nodes on the air:
    MYCALL K7DCL-1
    Not having this parameter properly set is usually what causes a timeout like that, as most TNC's will reject connections from no-call TNC's.

MYCALL is set to K7DCL. It is probably a configuration setting on my side, I just have to find problem.

My 9600 baud packet node is still up and running, for anyone interested. If you are 9600 baud capable, you can try linking directly to the node (I'm in the northwest Valley for those of you with beams), or you can link to me through the W7MOT-13 9600 baud digipeater on top the White Tanks. The digi operates on 438.975 MHz simplex.

If you are 1200 baud packet capable, you can still link to my node. From anywhere in the Valley you should be able to connect to W7MOT-6 on 145.710 MHz simplex on top the White Tanks. Once you are in the W7MOT-6 machine, simply connect to the W7MOT-13 machine (C W7MOT-13). The two nodes are connected via RS-232 link, so you can easily do cross-band/cross-baud operations.

If you make it into the node, leave me a message, or post up here with your success.

Kurt
    KE7KUS

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member N7IYT's Avatar
    *** Connected To W7MOT-6 <Wed,13Feb13 07:42 PM>:>c w7mot-13
    WHTNKS:W7MOT-6} Connected to #WHTNK:W7MOT-13
    :>mh
    #WHTNK:W7MOT-13}
    Callsign Pkts Port Time Type
    W7MOT-6 4576 1 0:0:0 Node
    :>c KE7KUS-9
    #WHTNK:W7MOT-13} Failure with KE7KUS-9
    :>c 4XMAIL
    #WHTNK:W7MOT-13} Invalid Call
    :>i
    #WHTNK:W7MOT-13} MARCA backbone node at Pinal Peak. No direct connects, please.
    I got AGWPE up and running. I was able to connect to W7MOT-6 on VHF, then to W7MOT-13. I could not connect to 4XMAIL or KE7KUS-9.
    I tried to connect to W7MOT-13 on 438.975, but was not able to. Nor could I connect to KE7KUS-9 on UHF.
    Offroad and on the air.

I'll have to research how to do this. I'm running a KISS mode TNC and just sending packets out through RF by connecting to the APRS server on my box. Not sure logging into the TNC via a terminal program and hitting "C W7MOT-6" is going to do anything. Looks like I will need some other software, but it needs to be linux. Time to read up on stuff.

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    Try sending out the command mheard. Maybe that only works once you've connected. There's a way to query "who's out there".
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by KF7IJB View Post
    I'll have to research how to do this. I'm running a KISS mode TNC and just sending packets out through RF by connecting to the APRS server on my box. Not sure logging into the TNC via a terminal program and hitting "C W7MOT-6" is going to do anything. Looks like I will need some other software, but it needs to be linux. Time to read up on stuff.
    If your TNC is KISS mode, you will need something like JNOS: http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jn...nts/index.html

It's way overkill, but if you build a simple autoexec.nos file you can use it quite nicely. I'm working on a fully configured setup to run on my RasPi...to include HTTP, FTP, and NNTP servers.

Kurt
    KE7KUS

awesome, you got me exactly what i needed.

4x4 Ham Member
    Any adivce on Windows software to use? I havent had any luck connecting using my SignaLink USB and a Yaesu FT-60. Could be that I am not able to hit the repeater, Im on the 51 and Thunderbird. I have been using the UZ7HO soundmodem under windows and AGWterm, perhaps there is something better to use. In monitoring both 145.710 and 438.975 I dont hear any packet activity so its entirely possible the software I'm using could work well, but my HT lacks the power. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The UZ7HO soundmodem may be one of the best out there. I would recommend trying the 145.71 machine first, as 1200 baud is much easier on a soundmodem than 9600 baud. You probably won't hear a lot of activity, but you can connect to the machine by simply typing "C W7MOT-6" from your terminal. That should get you into the machine. If it won't connect, check your MYCALL setting and ensure your callsign is set, then it's time to check soundcard levels. You can check decode by tuning 144.39 and seeing if APRS packets pop up in the terminal window. To check TX settings, I usually just use a separate receiver and listen to my packet node transmit on the other radio. I adjust audio levels to match other strong packets heard. If you have access to a deviation meter or commercial station monitor, you can adjust your deviation to around 3K. If it's still not working, it's probably and antenna/power out issue.

From your location on the 51, it's very possible that you're not getting into White Tanks, especially if you're using a stock antenna.

Kurt
    KE7KUS

4x4 Ham Member
    Upgraded HT to a Kenwood TH-D72A, and was finally able to get into the W7MOT-6 system. Checked mheard and saw a few others had connected but no one was in the chat room. I need some suggestions on terminal software to use, i was using outpost but I have to use the interactive terminal command and its not very refined.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    If you are looking for a general purpose terminal emulator for Windows then take a look at either Putty or Teraterm. Both are excellent full function terminal emulators. If you are looking for something that is packet aware, then I don't know.

4x4 Ham Member
    Good call on putty. I use that already for ssh sessions into my linux boxes so glad to use it here as well. Would love to revive some kind of weekly packet net. I've been able to connect through W7MOT-6 to the packet node on Mt. Union and Mt. Elden. There is even a BBS on one of the nodes. Pretty cool to relive those old BBS days.

On a side note, I talked with one of the guys at the Verde Valley ARA who maintains the digipeater, and he helped me get into their winlink gateway through W7MOT-6 and UNION4. I was surpised there were no local winlink gateways in Phoenix.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB7ULW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD7TI View Post
    If you are looking for a general purpose terminal emulator for Windows then take a look at either Putty or Teraterm. Both are excellent full function terminal emulators. If you are looking for something that is packet aware, then I don't know.
    Since you've found the K7YCA Winlink Gateway I would suggest RMS Express. A simple script performs all the connects for you and then checks the BBS. Also has a terminal program built in.
    http://www.winlink.org/RMSExpress
    Also see http://www.k7yca.org/packet_radio.htm Scroll to the bottom for some nodes and Gateways.