Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoenix Area Packet Chat

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WB7ULW View Post
    Since you've found the K7YCA Winlink Gateway I would suggest RMS Express. A simple script performs all the connects for you and then checks the BBS. Also has a terminal program built in.
    http://www.winlink.org/RMSExpress
    Also see http://www.k7yca.org/packet_radio.htm Scroll to the bottom for some nodes and Gateways.
    Do you have any tips on writing the script to make the connections? I have a Kenwood TH-D72 and for whatever reason I cant seem to get RMS Express to work with the internal TNC. However I have no problems using Putty to get into the gateway.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB7ULW's Avatar
    Have you done the TNC setup in the RMS Express Session Manager?

Attachment 3638

Once the Session Manager is seeing the TNC then you can move on to a script.
    Scripts are pretty much just the path you need to reach the BBS

This a convoluted script I used as an exercise - this one skipped W7MOT-6 because it was out of service for a couple months. It goes from a low power radio in my shack to my mobile rig and on to multiple Mt Union machines and finally K7YCA-10.
    Because my TNC is almost as old and slow as I am I also used a wait for command that you may or may not need.

Attachment 3639

New 4x4 Ham Member
    MacMini in my rig, trying to get RMS Express up and running faking out Windows with CrossOVer (Wine/Bottler).
    I found an interest example of this working here: http://kismetadventures.com/2014/05/...sb-pactor-mac/
    In my case I am using a TNC-X for VHF WinLink. Problem is RMS Express does not "see" the com ports. I have
    edited the .ini file and added com1 hopefully to trick RMS into seeing this port, still has problems. I know
    the TNC works via R/W test packets and other tricks. The kismet link above did use an older revision of RMS Express
    version 1.2.27.0. Hmmm, I wondering if there was a new runtime dependance added that works fine on
    real Window OS but broke my Wine Bottle Does anyone out there happen to have version 1.2.27.0?
    I asked the developers at Winlink but they say they don't post or archive older rev's odd SW practice.

Failing this I guess it's timefor Win8 running in VirtualBox or Parallels

ron

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Having a bit of a problem with connecting (I think). Using EasyTerm and a SignaLink to an IC-706MkIIG. I'm in Prescott, so I THINK Union is the way to go (144.390), but how to I connect with other packet chat users - need a "hand-holding walk-thru" about how to accomplish this.

Hopefully, this thread's still active and has users still reading it after 3 years.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Using K7YCA-8 (Mt. Union), it seems like whenever I send something, the repeater's just 'echoing' it back at me. What am I doing wrong?

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member K7DCL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W1DGL View Post
    Having a bit of a problem with connecting (I think). Using EasyTerm and a SignaLink to an IC-706MkIIG. I'm in Prescott, so I THINK Union is the way to go (144.390), but how to I connect with other packet chat users - need a "hand-holding walk-thru" about how to accomplish this.

Hopefully, this thread's still active and has users still reading it after 3 years.
    144.390 is an APRS node not a packet node.
    Try 145.710 (UNION4) or 145.010 (UNION5) these are Packet Nodes.