Thread: totalled 4runner

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default totalled 4runner

Hello!

New to the forum, but I have a question. My 1997 Toyota 4runner was just totalled by a rear end collision. The 4runner has the optional e locker in it, which took me close to a year to find with cloth interior! I bought the 4runner back from the insurance company for a thousand dollars. I am now in the deals of getting another 1997 4unner with the e locker. His asking price was $6800 and I talked him down to $5800 cash. He is now wanting to do a trade of his 4runner for my 4runner with $5,000. We would swap tires, rims, and stereos. His 4runner has had timing belt waterpump, etc. replaced 5k miles ago. Just curious what you guys thought. I know the rear e lockers in the Toyotas are valuable, but how much? My truck was in pretty much mint condition until the accident. Wondering if I should just give him the $5800 cash and keep mine as parts and part out, or just have him take mine and pay the 5k. If I had the cash, I would just pay it, but with a divorce, things are pretty tight around here...... But I did keep the hf rig through the divorce!!!! LOl
    Thanks,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have the space and time, parting it out would likely recover a couple thousand or a bit more. A few parts will go quickly, some eventually and some never. In the end you will have a shell that might need to be towed away or hauled on a flat bed. Some wrecking yards will come pick it up or you might need to scrap it.

The locker is worth probably $500, more if you can ship it. It will definitely sell. Tires & wheels will, interior and trim parts would, various engine and driveline parts, sensors, etc.

You could sell the engine and harness if you can pull it (or let someone interested pull it). The 3.4L gets swapped into older trucks and finding a donor with the full wiring harness & computer is important to know you have everything.

Straight body panels, bumpers and unbroken glass will sell. Window mechanisms, switches, handles, etc. will probably sell. You'll have to advertise it on Craigslist, eBay, forums (Yotatech, Expedition Portal, IH8MUD, TTORA, etc.).

So how are the front seats? I would be interested in them if they are nice, especially if they are the ones that adjust and have lumbar support.

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The front seats are perfect. With 220k on the odometer, I was pleased with how they have stood the test of time! I actually just traded the totalled 4runner for a 4runner with the same options as mine plus $5k. On the new one, it was owned by a Toyota mechanic who just did the timing belt, water pump, etc. His original price was $6500 so for $5000 plus my 4runner, we are both coming out on top. He is going to part it out, I believe. I will know tomorrow when we do the exchanges. I will let you know his name and number if he is going to do that. The rear e locker has not only saved my hind end once or twice, but has also helped others out also. Once a jeep was stuck in a gulley(he had open diffs.). I drove around him(using my locker to get through the mess) and then pulled him out. I couldn't pull him out backwards because he just had to get to the other side to get to his destination! After that, he was eyeing that rear end and button, wondering if he could do a swap on his Jeep with it.......

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, the seats do have lumbar adjustment and the other adjustments. They are not power seats.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lockers are the shizzle. I used to have ARB air lockers in my truck but in the process of simplifying I sold them, went back to smaller tires and dropped in a Aussie Locker in a stock diff. Auto lockers work well but are kind of a pain to live with daily, so selectable like the Toyota e-locker or ARBs are nice. Just expensive.

Seats sound perfect. I'd like to replace the stock seats in our Tacoma with the nicer ones from a 4Runner. I don't want leather power seats, though, just ones with adjustments. IIRC they have the up-down on the bottom and a lumbar knob and the headrests adjust, right? Probably doesn't matter since I'm up in Colorado anyway. :-/

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, yesterday I picked up my "new" 4runner from Tucson. It's a 1997 with 200k on the speedo. The previous owner put a 2 inch lift on it with a Borla aftermarket exaust. The timing belt was done at 195k along with the water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, and tensioners. He also put in all new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc. etc. etc. The cv boots are the off road boots with the added inch and half of play so they won't rip when off roading. The last vehicle was owned by a Toyota master mechanic and you sure can tell! I gave him my totalled 4runner and cash. Driving back from Tucson, I was impressed with the truck. There has got to be an additional 40 or 50 horsepower and the tranny shifts so beautifully! So pleased and now ready for some off roading!

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

And it's so strange to be in a Toyota shop swapping out tires and stereo. Sure is nice to have a lift there to use when needed!