Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Texas Members

Hey Wall-E, That actually sounds like fun. I was planning on spending Field Day with the local Club, but that actually sounds more interesting. I wonder if they would mind if I strung up a portable HF dipole antenna and brought out my HF rig???

Hmm... I will call them and see. Heck we should register as a club and see how many contacts we get.

Edit: Dang, I just looked and that's the weekend before we go to Alaska for 11 days. I will have to see if I can swing it.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member jnr0104's Avatar
    ALASKA! Good lord Clovis, every time I see you post on FB you are in some other state on a trip !!!
    Jeff - KF5WTB

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    ALASKA! Good lord Clovis, every time I see you post on FB you are in some other state on a trip !!!
    LOL, yep...life's too short.

LOL,Yeah, we did all our traveling in our late 30's early 40's, didn't do Europe, (figured my ancestors left there for a reason, so I didn't need to second guess them) But covered most areas South, then we went West. Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Philippines, Australia, and lots between. Interesting trip, wouldn't do it these days without a Marine division for backup. We did enough traveling in our day(much safer than now ,but in places was sketchy then) to realize we have it made in Texas. I don't plan of getting a new passport anytime soon, plenty to do in the States, and in places less dangerous .
    Jeff - KF5WTB

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Sounds great about Field Day. We will have maybe 3 people and 2 Stations for Field Day. I am not sure about a club status. Their has been some talk about it. I am still new to contesting.

I'm thinking about the field day trip,but still waiting on family to tell me what our summer travel schedule looks like .So far all I know for sure is we are taking 2 grandsons to College Station around the last couple of weeks in July for baseball camp at Texas A&M. I know the wife and at least one daughter are planning on the Frio in June, but I'm thinking I will stay here and they can take the motorhome up there since they are going mainly because THEIR friends are going at same time. Anyway will stay in touch as it gets closer.
    Jeff - KF5WTB

Quick note to everyone. The Belton Ham Expo is this weekend. It starts Friday night in the parking lot and ends around 1:00 pm on Saturday. Bring your rain gear. It happens rain or shine.

FYI....... Field Day at Hidden Falls. If anyone is interested....come on by and join us.

4x4 Ham Member
    Jeff. This thread is getting harder to find. Lol. I don't have a base. Also I live in Port Isabel now. I finally got my mobile installed in my truck. I'd love to see what it can do on simplex. It's not always easy to find people active on 2m other than the weekly nets. I'm steady monitoring the calling freq, now that the mobile is in. I'm waiting on better times (bait biz) and I'd like to get DStar module for my radio. Then we could connect, despite me not having access to wider coverage repeater net. If you want to chat, or setup some simplex test you can always reach me on my cell. (956)943-threefoursevenfour

4x4 Ham Member
    We should start a FB group. Add me fellas.. Michael DeNicola in Port Isabel

There is a pretty good group on 2m Simplex guys down your new direction , W3OQ, Ross from the Brownsville /McAllen area is kind of the leader, we actually talk 2m simplex when there is any king of band opening, a little over 151 miles! You can probably make contact with him on 146.52, or one of the area repeaters.
    Jeff - KF5WTB

New 4x4 Ham Member
    New Ham here. i just got my license on Monday. Took the test Saturday and my call sign was active by 3 on the following Monday.