Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Members

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member jnr0104's Avatar
    Everyone have a Safe and Merry Christmas !

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member N5MUD's Avatar
    Thanks and same to you and your family! Grandkids are here from west Texas now.
    Lee - N5MUD

Quote Originally Posted by N5MUD View Post
    Thanks and same to you and your family! Grandkids are here from west Texas now.
    That's the good part of Texas. At least to a kid who grew up in Central Texas and went to college in West Texas...have no plans on permanently coming back.

Merry Christmas to all...I'm making a run up to Central Colorado tomorrow. Think I'm gonna hit up Monarch and Wolfcreek while I'm there.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB8LBZ's Avatar
    Hi All,
    Don't they show West Texas starting about the center of the state? I hear someone mention a West Texas town and it is a few hundred miles from El Paso. Where do native Texans say where West Texas and Central Texas meet?

73, Larry WB8LBZ

hmmm. Start at Junction, SW on a line towards Comstock to the Rio Grande river, then west on I-10 from Junction to ozona then Sheffield. From there draw a line to Pecos,then North towards Mentone, from there angle a line towards Carlsbad til you hit the NM border. Everything in Texas West of those boundary lines is what I consider West Texas. Unless of course you want to go to West,Texas, then find Austin and go towards Dallas on I-35.

Some people will say head South on 277 from Abilene. Everything West of there is West Texas. To me, Central Texas covers most of the central part of the state (Hill Country, Austin, Round Rock, Mason, San Marcos, San Antonio, Kerville, etc. Mostly the area between I-10 and I-20 and I-35. South Texas, anything between El Paso and San Antonio that is south of I-10. East Texas is the southern part of the eastern half so the I-10 corridor east of Katy and the Tyler area. North Texas (despite what most non-texans would think) is the northern part of the eastern half. The panhandle area often gets clumped into West Texas (I blame West Texas A&M there in Canyon).

To me, the difference is when you lose most of the hills and most of the (larger species) tree cover as you drive west. So, west of Albany if you're driving on 180, west of Cisco if on I-20, and west of Ballinger if on 67, etc.

We lived in Midland for seven years during the 80's and really enjoyed west Texas. It has it's own natural beauty but you must be willing/open to seeing it. Not everyone can dig it for sure.
    Lee - N5MUD

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB8LBZ's Avatar
    Thanks W5PKY and jnr0104 for your response,
    My 8 call is from Michigan and there is no doubt where the Upper and Lower parts are. I'm thinking there could be as many divisions as desired. Asking ten people would most likely get ten different answers.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    6 miles East of New Mexico and 3 miles South of New Mexico.

N5MUD, funny you should mention Ballenger. There is a radio station I like out of there and I actually hang out around there every now and then but pass through a few times a month.

Larry, I guess dividing up the state is just one of those quirky inabilities Texans have. Officially their isn't a common division. TxDOT has 25 districts, DPS has 7 (with 19 sub-districts together)...I'm not sure how anything else is dived up.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Morning folks! Finally warm again down here in the Coastal Bend area, but, still misty nasty , and officially wet out on the Rancho. Slow soaking rain the last 2 days ,really soaked in and made it messy. Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Yep, we survived up here in New Braunfels. There were a few mornings that I had to actually go and warm up the car to defrost the windows before going to work. LOL

Heading to the HAM Fiesta tomorrow and my local club is doing a HF demonstration for all the newbies we've acquired this year. Trying to talk them into taking the General.

The 25th is Winter Field Day!!!

Had a good weekend here at the ranch. Youngest grandson (6 yrs) got his first Whitetail, 6 1/2 yr old 7pt. Really nice first buck.
    2014-01-12 12.23.56.jpg

Great picture! I bet he's proud of that one.
    Lee - N5MUD

yeah he was pretty happy, made a good shot on it too. now he has caught up to his 9 yr old brother .

Anybody alive out there, been REALLY slow on most of the sites I am on.

New 4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Hello, I'm Tom from Cypress. Thought I had already posted in here, but I'm on too many damn forums, I can't keep them straight.
    No one in my group that I wheel with has a ham, just CB's. Do any of ya'll go to Hidden falls?
    There is a wheelers for wounded event planned for the first weekend in May (there is a repeater on the property there).
    I hope to run into you on the trail or the air.

Hi Tom, I know the feeling about all the forums, same here. At least you have people that 4 wheel in your area, I looked into a couple of groups over around Corpus , but seemed to be mostly kids so still looking. Never been to Hidden Falls, but know several folks in the Marble falls area.. You in the Cypress in Harris county or the town up near DFW?

New 4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member

Gotcha, good to know, thanks for the HF info.