Thread: BBHN-Mesh Distance Testing

Default BBHN-Mesh Distance Testing

Kurt and I are planning to test some long range 2.4Ghz links. In 2 tests so far, we've established a 2 mile, then 13 mile links. We've identified a path between South Mountain and North Mountain with line of sight that's 16 miles. Join us Sunday afternoon with your BBHN mesh nodes if you want to test it out.

What: Long range 2.4Ghz wifi linking. BBHN-Mesh nodes.
    When: Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 2pm.
    Where: Phoenix. South and North Mountain. Mobile, etc.

Stay tuned, more details to come.

4x4 Ham Member Advanced Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey gang,

I blew my back out and have been unable to climb the ladder to upgrade my antenna, much less pull cable through the attic. Will there be another test coming up??

Also, if anyone is interested, you can hit up Goodwill and get a ver 1 - 4 wrt54g if interested for around $6!

73's

I uploaded the Google Earth KMZ file of our previous test points. We plan to return to the N and S Mountain locations for testing on Sunday.

http://www.4x4ham.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=153
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

I know there isn't a ton of detail above on this. We're basically going to go to N and S Mountains and change settings until we can link. Call in on Shaw 147.24 or we'll be on 147.52 simplex.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

I'm going to be running 2 nodes today. K7VZ-600 will be the one I'm placing up on the mast with high gain antennas. K7VZ-400 will be run from my vehicle connected to the laptop.

PS. I have a dead battery in my Jeep. I'll be working from the HT in Marcia's red Tacoma.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member Advanced Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

My WRT54G still has the HSMM firmware. Will that work or is there an update to BBHN?

Plug the WAN port into your home network, under the Setup tab, there's an option to upgrade to version 1. You'll need version 1 (BBHN) to talk to our routers now. They are not backwards/forwards compatible with each other.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Well, we just can't seem to get the 16 mile link to work. Yesterday, Virgil K7VZ and Casey KF7RCS operated from South Mountain and Kurt KE7KUS and Michael KF7MBK were on North Mountain. We were able to get signals from each other's nodes, but the stability wasn't enough to maintain a link. We've discovered through testing that we need to hold 30%+ signal with each other to maintain a link and that's just not working at these two sites. The signal to noise ratio is not in our favor either. Kurt's testing was yielding that we needed 20+ signal to noise ratio and we were getting 5-10 yesterday from South Mountain. We'll crunch this data and what we learned yesterday and try again.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Super Moderator Board Member - 4x4 Ham
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Concur with Virgil's observations. Here are a couple of my own:

1) A stable link appears to require 25-30dB SNR over the path.

2) Our best link performance was Virgil's 14dB TPLink panel into Mike's home-brewed re-purposed satellite dish with a bi-quad at the focal point. Based on the fact that Mike's dish yielded about 10dB better SNR than my 19dB panel, I feel comfortable saying he is probably getting about 29-30dB gain on the satellite dish.

3) Performance at my end was probably degraded 5-6dB due to longer coax and adapter connectors between my amp and the antenna. In some cases that would have made the difference between a workable signal and failure. Mounting the amp/transceiver close to the antenna (i.e. mast-mounted) will yield significant improvements in performance for most home installations.

Kurt
    KE7KUS

Here's my setup I was using on South Mountain. I mounted everything on the mast and we ran an AC drop cord up the pole from the inverter running in my Jeep. The goal was to not add any coax (signal loss).

WRT54GS router, 8W wifi amp, TP-Link directional panel.

Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.