Thread: condition of back road to crown king

New 4x4 Ham Member

condition of back road to crown king

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a question to ask. I'm glad i found this forum and hope to make some new friends.Has anyone gone the back way up to crown king within the last month or so? I have a friend visiting from out of town and wanted to take the back way up from lake pleasant this july 4th weekend. I've done a search but have read conflicting reports about the road. Its okay to its pretty rough and so forth. I've never done it before so, im wondering if I should wait to do it when others or going or just do it. Youtube vidoes show some serious stuff and then others make it look easy enough. I watched a video of a stock 2012 ford raptur make it look easy but, I didn't see any of the hard obstacles in that video that others talk about. I have a 96 jeep grand Cherokee with 2inch lift,31's, aussie locker in front with lsd in back . I appreciate any advice that is given...the one thing thats seems clear is avoiding the rock garden if there is a way around it...thanks, james

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member kg7els's Avatar
    this one is still on my "todo" list, so best i can provide is hearsay. from what i've heard in the past, it's stock friendly, though there are some optional obstacles that can make it more challenging.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Friend of mine took a group up a few months ago, wasn't to bad but last years monsoons did change up some of the optional play spots. I know it was closed for a bit while they did some work on it but it is open now.

I was up there in the past few months for the Crown King Scramble and it was fine. All the damage to the main road has be repaired for easy travel. I don't think we have had any significant rain to change the condition since then either. It is a fun little trail.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    thank you for your responses..i believe I will take my friend on the trail this Saturday then..

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Years ago (like 10 years ago) I did this trail on a Suzuki RMX 250. The granite face part of it was the most challenging part on a motorcycle. I also got a flat front on that trip and couldn't believe that the general store in Crown King had an extra inner-tube. I still have to do this with a new Wrangler, but it is on my list as well. Have a good Independence Day everyone!

New 4x4 Ham Member
    (sorry to hijack thread)
    Speaking of Crown King,
    Can anyone tell me what road one takes to get to Horsethief Basin Lake from the center of town?
    Last time I was there, I made it to the general store in Crown King OK, but none of the roads were marked. Didn't have a good map to show me how to get to the lake.
    Thanks.

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KG7FIU View Post
    (sorry to hijack thread)
    Speaking of Crown King,
    Can anyone tell me what road one takes to get to Horsethief Basin Lake from the center of town?
    Last time I was there, I made it to the general store in Crown King OK, but none of the roads were marked. Didn't have a good map to show me how to get to the lake.
    Thanks.
    From Crown King, you take the main road west (it's somewhat south or soutwest) about a 0.5 miles to FR259 which takes you out to Horstheif Lake.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Got up to Crown King about a month ago. Long, slow ride in a JKU. It does get interesting towards the top though. I like the open area and the riverbed you have to follow before you reach the top. I also enjoyed the mining ruins.

4x4 Ham Member
    I heard that the back way was much better than it used to be, is there any truth to that? I still wouldn't take my 2wd f250 up it though.

I run Crown about once a month or so, and I would say that it (IMHO) is a bit better recently. The 1/2 dozen or so "Technical" obstacles have lines that are more chewed up than ever before, but that's what makes it fun, and each of those has a bypass. The Mining site is constantly being rerouted and the choice seems to be following the creek bed lined with lots of smooth softball to bowling ball sized boulders, or cutting to the left towards the north end and getting into some tight areas bound to cause AZ-Pinstriping on the vehicle paint. Other than that it's still a great trail that even a bone-stock JK or FJ style ride can navigate reasonably. Seeing online videos posted to YouTube and such, it also seems to be a trail that lots of clubs and out-of-state 4x4 enthusiasts visit when in AZ.

Now, as to taking an F-250 or other large profile vehicle, I have to concur. I recently acquired a new Ram 2500 Diesel, and my wife's first comment came in the form of a warning (while still at the dealership) that "This rig is not to be taken out rock-crawling up Crown King..."

Last edited by AF7JD; 01-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.