Thread: shoreline Camping in Arizona?

Question shoreline Camping in Arizona?

Ive been an avid camper in Arizona for decades, but one thing I have always been in search of is a good shoreline camping spot. In the woods, and not at a campground. We dont need no stinkin' campgrounds! Ive found plenty of spots, but all require loading our gear into the canoe or kayak then leaving the truck parked in a lot for many days. Do any of you know of any shoreline spots accessible by 4x4 or such?
    Respectfully,

Chad B
    KG7PTZ
    Wheels: 2013 F-150xlt supercrew
    QTH: Flagstaff/ Phoenix
    Club: WM7RC.org Mesa Amatuer Radio Club

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member kg7els's Avatar
    i don't know if it's any good for camping, but i was poking around one day and came across FR393:
    http://kg7els.net/gpx/map.php?gpx=fr393.gpx

turn at the marker in the middle towards the lake, and you end up out on the shoreline. older satellite images of the area showed multiple vehicles out on the shoreline, so i assume it's not too difficult to access.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KD7WCD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kg7els View Post
    i don't know if it's any good for camping, but i was poking around one day and came across FR393:
    http://kg7els.net/gpx/map.php?gpx=fr393.gpx

turn at the marker in the middle towards the lake, and you end up out on the shoreline. older satellite images of the area showed multiple vehicles out on the shoreline, so i assume it's not too difficult to access.
    Be carefule along some of those parts of the Verde. Certain times of the year there are sections that are closed due to nesting Bald Egales.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KD7WCD's Avatar
    You Might look out West toward Lower portion of the Colorado River or out by Alimo Lake. I can't say for sure, but I have started looking that direction to get away from the normal Phoenix crowds.

There are also some nice spots up in the White Mountains if you stop and get the right permits fpr camping on the reservation. Look out by the White River.

There is a nice campe ground at Buffolo Crossing in the Black River. It is far enough in off the main roads that it is usually pretty quite durring the week and it is a good place to catch Apache Trout (The AZ State Fish).

Let us know if you find a good spot but any place with water in this state is bound to be popular.

Good Hunting!

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7WCD View Post
    Let us know if you find a good spot but any place with water in this state is bound to be popular.

Good Hunting!
    Bingo! I searched long and hard for my spots, and I'm not about to reveal them on a public forum

Of course, that said, anyone with a minimum of motivation could find them pretty easily as well with modern technology

I respect that. I too, have a handful of spots that I keep to myself. However, you guys don't come across as the "type" of people I'm trying to hide them from That being said, the wife and I are going to be hitting up one of those said spots this weekend, at knoll Lake. Its not at the campground either! Open invite to anyone to come find/ join us. I usually monitor the rimlink system and VHF simplex national. If you're in the area, give a shout, and I'll direct you in. 4WD needed with decent clearance.
    Respectfully,

Chad B
    KG7PTZ
    Wheels: 2013 F-150xlt supercrew
    QTH: Flagstaff/ Phoenix
    Club: WM7RC.org Mesa Amatuer Radio Club