Thread: day trip recommendations

4x4 Ham Member

day trip recommendations

Recommendations for easy day trip? Have been to Martinez cabin and canyon a couple times and loved it. Would like some more runs that can be done in a day.

I ride a Joyner 250 sand spider which is very slow compared to quads and razors, but way faster than my full size trailduster i used to have. Haven't met a place that it can't go yet.

Ideas anyone?

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    Four Peaks out to Edward's Park, Montana Mountain, Table Mesa area, Sheep Bridge, Crown King are all favorites for easy day trips.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by K7VZ View Post
    Four Peaks out to Edward's Park, Montana Mountain, Table Mesa area, Sheep Bridge, Crown King are all favorites for easy day trips.
    Thanks Virgil.

Another question unrelated:

Tonight I got on pinal peak repeater via echolink. Was going to get some chatter and advice about buying a new radio.

Some dude gets on there without identifying himself and goes "why do you get on here on a city you live in?"
    Then somehow kicks me off the repeater.

What did I do?

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    The ARA repeaters on Pinal do not have Echolink. So, I'm guessing here, but... He may have been questioning why you were using Echolink for a repeater that you can probably hit via RF. Either way, sounds like he was very rude in his actions. Listen and see if you can get his call sign, then report him to that repeater owner.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member
    I seem to be finding all the bad dudes in ham radio. Thanks for your help again.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    any day trip recommendations for the Ohio area?

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Not sure about Ohio, but RE: the previous Arizona stuff from long ago, Tip Top is a nice little trip. As is Crown King to Prescott, front or back. Even better if you head into Prescott for lunch.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member W6SDM's Avatar
    You may want to consider a trip through Vekol Valley. I have made this run dozens of times because it's close to where I live. Take exit 144 from Interstate 8, going south. It's a stock trail that takes you through a range area and around the Sonoran Desert National Monument, including Tabletop mountain. You'll see an abandoned slaughterhouse, an old corral/tank area complete with bunkhouse and cowboy shower, and further down, the Tabletop trail head complete with government potties. It's pristine Sonoran Desert and worth the trip.

Further west there's the Barry Goldwater Gunnery Range. This is some of the most well preserved Sonoran desert that I've seen with some mountain trails and amazing scenery. You need to stop by a BLM office and watch a video, sign a document saying that you won't pet the rattlesnakes or pick up any live ordinance, and you will receive a six-month pass. Again, very much worth the trouble.

Disclaimer: If you listen to the news media, this is a hotbed of illegal immigration activity with the cartels and migrants running the show. Not so. While I have encountered a lot of evidence of migrant traffic, i.e., abandoned bikes, vehicles, and trash, I have never had any issues with anyone there. I suspect that they duck out of the way when they hear you coming. They probably realize that most Arizonans are armed most of the time.

If anyone is interested in organizing a trip down this way, I would be glad to dust off the rig and get one organized.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W6SDM View Post

If anyone is interested in organizing a trip down this way, I would be glad to dust off the rig and get one organized.
    This would be a good one to do before the heat is upon us. Need to finish a couple of things on the buggy first, though.

Is this trail the same one that hooks up with El Camino del Diablo, south of the Gunnery Range?

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    I would be up for this, depending on when it's scheduled.
    Charlie - N2TFS
    '10 Wrangler JK 2 Dr | Life's short - play dirty!

TYT 9800 | Yaesu FTM-400 XDR | TYT UV-8000D | Yaesu VX-7R

Quote Originally Posted by N2TFS View Post
    I would be up for this, depending on when it's scheduled.
    A good date for me would be Saturday, March 25.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Can you post up some more info on what you are considering? I'm interested in exploring in and around Sonoran Desert Nat'l Monument.
    I'd be coming down from Phoenix. It looks like its at least 90 mins to I-8 exit 144. How long is the trail you are considering? Are you proposing El Camino del Diablo or a portion of it?
    Charlie - N2TFS
    '10 Wrangler JK 2 Dr | Life's short - play dirty!

TYT 9800 | Yaesu FTM-400 XDR | TYT UV-8000D | Yaesu VX-7R

Ah, Saturday the 25th doesn't work for me but Sunday the 26th does.

The El Camino Diablo takes a little more planning and it's a much longer run. The run I'm talking about goes through the Vekol Valley and is a stock run. It's a day run... so if we met up around Exit 151 at Interstate 8 at about 9 AM, we should be back by around 3 PM depending on how much time we spend exploring the trail. I usually go as far as the Tabletop trailhead, have lunch there, and then head back. There are also some alternate trails so that we don't come back the same way we came... I will look on the map and check out some of those.

This trail offers some real nice scenery and a great experience in pristine Sonoran desert. The trail runs along the border of the Sonoran Desert National Monument, so it's been pretty well protected.

If you're interested in getting your Goldwater Range permit, I would be interested in making a run out that way too.