Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM31 grid HF Event Campout at Organ Pipe National Monument.

Default DM31 grid HF Event Campout at Organ Pipe National Monument.

What: DM31 grid HF Event Campout at Organ Pipe National Monument.

When: April 29, 2011 - May 1, 2011

Where: DM31 - Organ Pipe National Monument. Group campground - Site 1
    Here's the coordinates for the campground.
    3156.59' N 11248.82' W - locator DM31OW26II

Campground Cost $8 per vehicle to enter park. $5 per person, per night to camp.

Frequencies
    Childs 145.310 (100.0) repeater.
    147.52 simplex.
    All other operational HF/VHF frequencies will be posted on the main page and kept updated as we operate throughout the weekend.

PreRun to Organ Pipe - Good info in this thread.

See this thread for more details and planning discussion.

4x4 Ham (W7AZO) Grid DM31 Activation - April 30, 2011

FOR: General Announcement

SUBJ: News Release

Special Event: 4x4 Ham (W7AZO) Grid DM31 Activation

Several hams from 4x4 Ham (W7AZO) will activate grid DM31 from April 30-May 1, 2011. The group will be operating from the campground at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, located approximately 5 miles north of Lukeville, AZ/Sonoyta, Mexico. The location of the campground is DM31OW, and the coordinates are N31.94388 W112.81357.

The 4x4 Hams will operate multiple radios/bands throughout the special event. Current plans include multi-band HF operations, 2m SSB operations around 144.250MHz, and 6m operations around 50.150MHz for those needing the grid square towards the ARRL's Fred Fish Memorial Award. Additionally, 2m & 6m CW operations are planned in the CW portions of those bands. In addition to the grid square activation activity, the club will also host its
    monthly QRS CW Net from the campground on 7.115MHz on May 1 at 0300Z. Operating details and band schedules are in the process of being finalized. To keep up to date on the details of this activation, visit the Forums section of
    the 4x4 Ham Club website at www.4x4ham.com.

Link to the event on our calendar --> http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php...ional-Monument.

Administrator Premium Member K7DCL's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Satellite passes for DM31 event

Here are the satellite passes for 4/30 and 5/1. I ran the predictions for AO-27, AO-51, HO-68, ISS, and SO-50. Let me know if you want any others included. I think these are the major ones with operational FM repeaters.

DM31 grid HF Event Satellite Passes.pdf

Peak Time column: yellow = [05:00 to 08:00 and 21:00 to 23:00]; green = [08:00 to 21:00]
    Peak EL column: yellow = [> 45 and < 67]; green = [> 67]

Downloads
    Uploads

There was a chat room discussion on a day trip to scope things out.
    Any suggested dates?
    I know Feb is quite packed, March? Weekend of the 19th or 26th?

Kurt is submitting the announcement to the ARRL. I've posted it on QRZ and eHam this morning as well as adding a link to our Facebook pages.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...-April-30-2011
    http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...c,73379.0.html

Please help spread the word. Here's the announcement text.
    4x4 Ham (W7AZO) Grid DM31 Activation - April 30, 2011

FOR: General Announcement

SUBJ: News Release

Special Event: 4x4 Ham (W7AZO) Grid DM31 Activation

Several hams from 4x4 Ham (W7AZO) will activate grid DM31 from April 30-May 1, 2011. The group will be operating from the campground at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, located approximately 5 miles north of Lukeville, AZ/Sonoyta, Mexico. The location of the campground is DM31OW, and the coordinates are N31.94388 W112.81357.

The 4x4 Hams will operate multiple radios/bands throughout the special event. Current plans include multi-band HF operations, 2m SSB operations around 144.250MHz, and 6m operations around 50.150MHz for those needing the grid square towards the ARRL's Fred Fish Memorial Award. Additionally, 2m & 6m CW operations are planned in the CW portions of those bands. In addition to the grid square activation activity, the club will also host its
    monthly QRS CW Net from the campground on 7.115MHz on May 1 at 0300Z. Operating details and band schedules are in the process of being finalized. To keep up to date on the details of this activation, visit the Forums section of
    the 4x4 Ham Club website at www.4x4ham.com.

Link to the event on our calendar --> http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php...ional-Monument.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

An idea was presented to get together before this event some time and build a 3 or 4 element beam for 6m as a group. Any takers?
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Administrator Premium Member K7DCL's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

That sounds like a good idea, I would join in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Be glad to help too!
    Also on the Net Chatroom a few weeks ago we kicked around a plan of a carpool day trip to check out the site.
    One date that came up was Mach 27th
    Any takers on this or other ideas for a pre-run / planning trip?

Off Road and On the Air! Premium Member N1HX's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone heading down on Friday? I had heard on the 4x4 net that someone may be heading down early on Friday. Also any updates on making the 6 meter beam? I would like my son to have a look at that process.

Downloads
    Uploads

As of now it looks like KE7KUS & I will be headed down on Friday late in the morning, I think theres also a few others who plan to head down Friday as well.

As for the antenna project there's another thread on that 6Meter Build
    Please feel free to post comments and or if your interested in stopping by.
    Ill have an update later tonight in that thread.
    It's been said "Don't judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoe" Well walk a mile in mine and you'll be a mile away & with one shoe.

I need to do a major update on the first post, but I was able to extend our group campground reservation for both Friday and Saturday nights. Group campground - Site 1 for April 29/30.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Virgil,

How many tents, campers, vehicles, etc are allowed at this campsite?

Quote Originally Posted by K7VZ View Post
    I need to do a major update on the first post, but I was able to extend our group campground reservation for both Friday and Saturday nights. Group campground - Site 1 for April 29/30.
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KE7GRM View Post
    Hello Virgil,

How many tents, campers, vehicles, etc are allowed at this campsite?
    I think it was mentioned in the pre-run thread, But to quote Virgil, well have to park smart.
    Here is an areal of the area, the tent spot's are just south of the main parking area.
    then there's also more tent sites up from camp 2
    It's been said "Don't judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoe" Well walk a mile in mine and you'll be a mile away & with one shoe.

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will Not be bringing a radio, but do have batteries and solar charging system I would like to test. Anybody in need of battery power is welcome to use my setup. Plan to have two 12v 55ah batteries connected in parallel (12v 110ah pool). Will hook up a 36w solar panel during day time ops and hopefully the solar panel will provide enough power so NOT to draw down the batteries. Any help in abusing my battery pool would be appreciated.

Thanks
    K7MJC Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by K7MJC View Post
    Will Not be bringing a radio, but do have batteries and solar charging system I would like to test. Anybody in need of battery power is welcome to use my setup. Plan to have two 12v 55ah batteries connected in parallel (12v 110ah pool). Will hook up a 36w solar panel during day time ops and hopefully the solar panel will provide enough power so NOT to draw down the batteries. Any help in abusing my battery pool would be appreciated.

Thanks
    K7MJC Mike
    Im sure well have enough radios there to employ your set up
    Look forward to seeing the set up!

4x4 Ham Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KE7NEA View Post
    Im sure well have enough radios there to employ your set up
    Look forward to seeing the set up!
    Thanks; will be the first time using them in parallel and this is a good time/place to do it.

Looking forward to seeing your M101. I took the sleeping unit of the top of my trailer (Height, age, and beer; bad combination). Can't change my age, won't change my beer habit, so the height (latter) had to go.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay were just a few days away!!!
    I'm sure we'll have a nice grip of radios and some antennas (31' vertical, 6m 3element Yagi & possibly a 2m SSB Quagi, think Virgil is bring a di-pole as well)
    A few of us plan to leave the Phx area Friday morning between 10-12 & expect to arrive around 2-3
    Not sure if anyone is interested in a potluck type dinner on Saturday? I was thinking of bring down some tri-tip & charcoal and grillin some meat! Any thoughts on that??

Updated first post. Reading through the Pre Run thread is also full of good info towards the end of it.

Please check back to the first post in this thread before you depart. I'll keep it updated if there is anything else that needs added.

Marcia and I plan to depart mid morning on Friday and arrive at campground around 3pm. We'll have the campground ready for everyone else as you arrive.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Ahh crap, I updated the first thread and it appears I deleted the RSVP roster.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

APRS for W7AZO is prepped/ready to go. I checked everything out to make sure I had the equipment setup right and it's beaconing the fixed position down there accurately. Over the weekend, we'll use the APRS comment text to update our operating frequencies.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by N7IYT; 04-28-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added APRS linl to callsign.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Downloads
    Uploads

I gave you guys a plug over on the AR15.com Ham Radio Forum.

Hopefully you'll stay pretty busy.