Thread: Finally got my FTM-400DR working with Android.

4x4 Ham Member

Finally got my FTM-400DR working with Android.

Radio: FTM-400DR (latest DSP firmware)
    Android: Galaxy S3 (AICP)
    Connection between Radio and Android: Yaesu FTM-400DR USB Serial Programming Cable (included with the FTM-400DR), USB OTG cable (USB to Micro-USB)
    Software: http://www.qsl.net/ja7ude/SmartPhone...sm/indexe.html
    FTM-400DR settings: 9600 bps, Packet Radio output, NMEA 9 - everything else standard.

I tried to do this first using APRSdroid, but the FTM-400DR outputs packet data with a carriage return/break. APRSdroid doesn't interpret the NMEA9 messages from the FTM-400DR at all. Basically, the FTM-400DR won't work with APRSdroid (AFAIK.)

It took a while, but it was awesome to finally TX my beacon (with a manual GPS position) and get back position reports from other stations, then have those stations displayed on a map. It's the only thing I really cared about with APRS (and why I paid so much for this stinking radio.) Frankly, I don't understand why APRS-capable radios don't have a basic non-map "north is up" display that shows APRS stations in relation to your own position to scale (with zoom in/out).

Downsides: The radio doesn't send power to the Android phone, which is annoying. Ideally, I want my android phone (or tablet) to be charged via 12V. Maybe a powered USB hub, but I really don't want this setup to turn into a ramshackle ham shack thing.

Next test is to see how to configure the FTM-400DR to work with a GPSMap 276C.

a.jpgb.jpg

New 4x4 Ham Member
    You can get OTG cables that have the USB micro to a Y that has USB male and female so it will charge and pass data to the female end

4x4 Ham Member
    Thanks Falcon...I was hoping not to have to buy any more $$$ junk to make this setup work, but it looks like I may have no choice.

Has anyone gotten the FTM-400DR to work with Garmin units with NMEA?

New 4x4 Ham Member
    yeah, i originally wanted to pickup the ftm-400dr for all the cool system fusion stuff, but the tm-v71a turned out to be a better choice because it was super simple to setup with aprsdroid via bluetooth using the mobilinkd.

being able to purchase a cheap droid to handle all the aprs duties was a much cleaner setup.

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
    Thanks Falcon...I was hoping not to have to buy any more $$$ junk to make this setup work, but it looks like I may have no choice.

Has anyone gotten the FTM-400DR to work with Garmin units with NMEA?
    Looking to move my FTM400DR into my jeep next weekend. Have to pull out an old kenwood 710...one of the VFO's has developed a slight hearing problem....looks like a know issue withe that radio...oh well got 12 years of dusty roads out of it.

Anyway....from what i am reading....i need to build A ' Y' cable for my garmin GPS....NMEA TX to head Unit NMEA RX to the radio body. I realy want fast gps lock....so i have to use external gps to head unit. I with we could tx NMEA data to back of radio...but, this did not work on the bench for me.

Does that sound correct? What a PIA...just one more reason to look at kenwood aagain. ;-) keep the 400 in ham shack.

4x4 Ham Member
    So, there is some bad news - I have done some pretty extensive research over the past few days on the topic of providing host power back through OTG, and it turns out that for any USB host running via OTG, providing power back to the host is not part of the USB spec. In other words, all those Y-cables that are out there that promise to be able to do so, may do so, but not reliably - they're really just pumping 5V into the host power and hoping that the USB's auto-negotiation accepts charging when in host mode. It's an extremely unreliable and hacky method.

Meaning: Some devices work, some do not, and it's also highly dependent on the order in which you connect the host to the rest of the USB components.

Apparently one of USB-C's great strengths is the ability for the USB-C host to charge while hosting.

It's just way too much fiddliness for me. I've switched to using a cheap windows tablet with separate charging and USB, APRS-IS/CE32, and am testing with this setup as it is totally reliable.

APRS-IS/CE32 works reliably with the FTM-400DR in 9600/8/N/1 mode, Packet transmit. I could not get it to work with NMEA messages, but I'm still attempting to log the FTM-400DR's NMEA output.

BTW - the FTM-400DR will not accept NMEA TX.

Ultimately, kalieaire is right. If you want real, full APRS, go with a droid + bluetooth + mobilinkd.

4x4 Ham Member
    Thanks for the power info.
    I just pucheded a cheep ($50) android tablet from amzon that much to my delight,..... has a 5v power input next to the micro usb port. So, can use usb in place of bluetooth now....

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K6TVB View Post
    Thanks for the power info.
    I just pucheded a cheep ($50) android tablet from amzon that much to my delight,..... has a 5v power input next to the micro usb port. So, can use usb in place of bluetooth now....
    What tablet is that?

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KE0ITX View Post
    What tablet is that?
    Amazon
    NeuTab 7'' Quad Core Android 5.1...

Confirmed woring with usb OTG serial cable , aux power plug ,W2aprs OSD map. Maybe a good dedicated setup for mapping. Not the best quality tablet, but for single function use...it is fine.

Bluetooth works too...but USB better because W2aprs will launch without any user input. Kinda nice.

For me, I will use that setup in the truck for road trips.

But, for the Jeep...I will use my Garmin 276C. Also Confirmed working with GPS into radio for solid/fast GPS Lock. Ya :-)

And Waypoint data into GPS from radio.. yes!

ALL IS WORKING GREAT. My topo 24k maps, camp/trail data and super stable platform make it easier to enjoy the trail.

Cheers

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K6TVB View Post
    But, for the Jeep...I will use my Garmin 276C. Also Confirmed working with GPS into radio for solid/fast GPS Lock. Ya :-)

And Waypoint data into GPS from radio.. yes!

ALL IS WORKING GREAT. My topo 24k maps, camp/trail data and super stable platform make it easier to enjoy the trail.

Cheers
    That's great! What settings are you using on your FTM-400DR to interface with the 276C?

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
    That's great! What settings are you using on your FTM-400DR to interface with the 276C?

Radio
    External GPS
    COM port set to Waypoint Nmea 4800

Gps come
    Nmea in/out 4800 baud

Y CABLE
    radio COM Port TX to GPS in
    Radio GPS port RX to gps out

Fyi, gps screen displaying satellite data, gps icon on main dispatch

Let me try a picture 1479785493362-638853131.jpg

4x4 Ham Member
    Just a quick update...finally mounted in the Defender.

I've been getting APRS packets reported at a distance of approximately 23 miles using 20W beaconing power. Well and pleased with the setup, although the speaker of the FTM-400DR is barely audible over the din of the 200tdi engine

Works great, however.

20170715_112929 copy.jpg