Thread: Fissures are a Risk to Offroad Vehicles

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar

Fissures are a Risk to Offroad Vehicles

Fissures in the desert are a risk? Who out there would wheel it?

Two-mile crack is found in the Arizona desert
    A huge two mile-long crack has been discovered in the desert in Arizona.

Drone footage uploaded to YouTube by the Arizona Geological Survey shows the massive fissure splitting the desert's surface in the Tator Hills area of southern Pinal County.

The film shows people dwarfed by the crack as they stand next to the edge, while the drone flies over the wide-open fissure which extends farther into the earth then the eye can see...

Read the full article with pictures: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...na-desert.html
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member N1BAY's Avatar
    25+ years ago, I-10 north of Picacho Peak, near the old rest area, there was one of these fissures. There was a four foot high drop (or rise, depending on direction of travel) in the freeway. It was fun to hit at about 120 MPH. Now with the new six lane roadbed, the fun is gone.
    Sarcasm warning indicator: ON

They don't show any footage of this fissure going through any roads or trails that I can see. If you are out in the middle of the desert just cutting across the country as you please, then you get whatever mother nature throws at you. I don't anticipate that I'll be impacted by any fissure in the near future. I better go knock on some wood.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member W6SDM's Avatar
    Yes, a fissure across a trail would certainly get your attention. The bad thing is that there are no warnings that it's there. Coming up on one of these, even at trail speed, could give you an instant burial. I love my Jeep but have no desire to be buried in it.

Another, more common, occurrence in the Arizona desert is abandoned mines. Many are not fenced or marked in any way. I was with a group traveling the gas pipeline between Stanfield and Ajo on a pretty well-marked trail. When we pulled off the trail there was an old mine shaft that went straight down a good 50 feet. One of the rigs was parked about ten feet from the edge of it - it could have easily driven into it. That's another good reason to stay on the trails.

Arizona has a program to fence off old mine shafts but the budget is small and the priority is those that are known to be around populated areas. So, for those of us who go where few have gone before, tread carefully.