Thread: moto for the cherokee

4x4 Ham Member

moto for the cherokee

really wanted to get a radio in the "Momma Jeep"
    as my wife is a very new ham i wanted to adhere to the "kiss" theme
    i couldn't figure out where to mount a Astro W9 head or a Midland STII head
    so just to keep things simple
    a Moto CM200 !
    i programmed it for 52,the club machine,and couple other locals and set the power to around 20 watts
    new NMO mount right in front of the dome light and ran the coax over to the front right pillar on above the headliner
    and down inside the post trim and under the carpet to the console
    power comes from the lug on the fron power box, i grabbed a ground up there as well
    its a old yaesu harness so it has those silly fuse shells (when they go to crap ill put those rubber ATC holders up there
    i will be putting a 1/4 wave whip on it as i cant see the need for that Diamond dual band antenna (i never liked it any way)
    I haven't done a install for a while so i thought i would share

cm200vhf1.jpg
    cm200vhf2.jpg
    nmo&dualband.jpg

Nice clean looking install.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB9YZU's Avatar
    I second, it looks clean!
    73's Ron

4x4 Ham Member
    Good stuff I have an XJ myself. It's nice to see a good threw the roof antenna install. They really do work best. As long as you seal them from leaks!(don't ask me how I know this!)
    You will see the best performance from a 1/2wave or 5/8th wave antenna. However with such a good install even a short 1/4wave antenna is still going to work great. My only suggestion is to simply move your front roof rack cross-member back 1-2 notches. There is enough metal in that thing to screw with your swr and or the antenna pattern. I leaned that fact the hard way trying to tune an antenna too close to that rack. I though the crossbeam was 100% plastic. Nope it's steel with plastic ends. It's more of an issue with 5/8th and 1/4wave antennas than 1/2wave units. Good luck and great install!

R

4x4 Ham Member
    thanks for the support! everybody
    the Comet dual bander is what i had on hand (never liked the darn thing) as Momma only drives about town and my normal 5/8 wave whip is of no benefit for her use
    and i was hoping to someday find a dual band radio i dont hate.......
    ill probably end up putting one of my lowband maxtrac rigs in there and say "yup she is a dual band jeep 6 and 2 "

Looks nice. I'm actually an Astro 25 technician so I deal with Motorola on a daily basis. If you ever feel like upgrading to the PM400 (never programmed with 05.17 or 05.18) and having the ability to have change PL through the menu, let me know becasue I've got a VHF PM400 sitting in my garage collecting dust.

It's been a few years since I last posted anything (I actually saw a fellow 4x4 Ham member sitting in traffic the other day which prompted me to try and look him up on the forum) but I to have an XJ. I'm actually getting ready to swap some radios around in my XJ (well, in November). Pulling an SM50 that doesn't get used anymore and pulling the dual band Anytone out and replacing it with an Astro Spectra Plus that I pulled out of my pickup.

Antenna wise I'm moving the Spectra over to the Larsen NMOQ (with spring) on the roof that the SM50 used to use.
    Here's the Spectra that's going into the XJ (no longer installed in my pickup).

This is a current interior pick for my XJ...note the control head on top of the dash and the CB in the location where your CM200 is installed. The dual band brick is under the back seat.

Finially the rear from a few years ago. It's still current except for when Texas went to required inspection in-order to renew registration scheme they use now I was forced to switch the registration over to Colorado. You can see the current dual band antenna (mounted on the spare tire carrier), the VHF whip on the roof and then the Larsen NMO27 mounted on a fender mount up front.

4x4 Ham Member
    ohh a HHCH !!
    what i do want is to get my Astro flashcode updated to digital as it has the 1meg vocon
    and we actually have a couple P25 vhf machines within wandering range
    nice XJ! its really to bad they are so hard to get radios into
    im used to caravans/town&country with oodles of room
    running a lowband A7 head maratrac and a highpower Midland Syntech II VHF remote in my van
    so my High power Astro is in a crate in the garage, i dont know why but i never really warmed up to that radio
    i always thought it didnt hear very well and i never got the mic audio set right and the short scanlist thing.....

4x4 Ham Member
    i am asking this not to be negative, i am just curious. not only here but on other off road forums im on. i have noticed so many people mount their radios so low in the vehicle. my reason for curiosity is water intrusion. i hear people say they are not worried about it because they never go that deep or what ever the reason. but it just seems to be a dangerous place to mount long range communications which could be needed in an emergency. i flooded one of my vehicles interiors once water seeped in through the door jams passenger side was dry drivers side was almost to the top of the trans hump and halfway up the door i was leaning because of a hole some large wheeled vehicle made in a large puddle. it was not even axle deep the day before. luckily i wasn't a ham and the time and the only thing i was out was a cheap cb radio and speaker lol. any like the clean setups and enjoying cruising the old threads.

4x4 Ham Member
    ohh there would be many more issues if i got the old girl that wet