Thread: Titan Missile Museum Special Event 2017?

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar

Titan Missile Museum Special Event 2017?

Is 4x4 Ham interested in hosting a Titan Missile Museum Special Event this fall?

The Titan Missile Museum in southern Arizona has an 80ft. tall discone antenna that has coax terminated in the parking lot for hams to connect their radio and operate. Starting in the fall of 2009 with an annual event for 7 years, 4x4 Hams hosted a special event from this location. We did not operate in 2016, but do we want to resume the special event in 2017?

Traditionally, we had settled on the 3rd weekend in October, but that is now occupied by the Maricopa ARC Copafest hamfest and ARRL Arizona State Convention. The 4th weekend in October is the CQ WW DX contest, which would be a fun weekend to operate from the discone, but lousy choice for hosting a special event. Any earlier in the fall and the weather may still be too hot. With that reasoning, I'm looking at November 4th. Does anyone have other suggestions?
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Virgil, isn't Copa Fest scheduled on October 28th this year? That makes it the fourth weekend of the month. The third weekend is the 21st. What about doing the Titan Missile Museum on Sunday the 29th? Anyone wanting to camp could spend the weekend down that way. Just a thought.

Right now, the only weekend that is not good for me is the Columbus Day weekend Oct 6-9.
    Charlie - N2TFS
    '10 Wrangler JK 2 Dr | Life's short - play dirty!

TYT 9800 | Yaesu FTM-400 XDR | TYT UV-8000D | Yaesu VX-7R

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    Good catch Charlie. I had my dates scrambled and it does look like CopaFest is October 28th. That leaves the 3rd weekend, October 21st open. Let's plan on October 21st for the TMM Special Event.
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member N7IYT's Avatar
    For those who are interested, Netflix has an excellent documentary about the Titan Missile program entitled "Command and Control." Check it out if you are so inclined.
    Offroad and on the air.