Thread: Optima Yellow Top Warranty

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar

Optima Yellow Top Warranty

Last summer, the battery on our travel trailer started acting up and wouldn't hold a charge. I decided to replace it with 2 Optima Yellow Top D31T batteries since we do a lot of dispersed camping. As I was shopping around, I found the best price for these on Amazon. Without giving it a second thought, I ordered them.

Selection_014.jpg

The batteries worked fine until recently. When the camper is not in use, I leave it plugged in at our house on a float charge. We had our house painted which required moving everything away from the house and the camper was unplugged. No big deal, it should be able to sit for a week without being charged. Well, when I went to plug it back in, I noticed there was a power issue. I checked the voltage on my batteries and found one of them to only have 4.5 voltes. Yikes. I've tried to charge it back up with no success.

Optima offers a 24 month warranty on these batteries, so I set out to make a warranty claim. Their web site states to take it back to the place of purchase. Since I had it shipped from an online order, I thought it would be a hassle to deal with Amazon. My first mistake was I figured I could go to any Optima dealer and they'd help me file the warranty. The local Napa store informed me they could only warranty it if it had been purchased there.

I logged into my order history on Amazon and found the return page. It wouldn't let me file a return because the order was over a year old. This was my second mistake. I don't remember why, but through their help page, I somehow was directed that a return is what I needed to initiate. At this point it seemed like I was going in loops and I started to get frustrated. They clearly list a 24 month warranty. (I didn't see the email address in the second image until later.)

Selection_015.jpg

Selection_016.jpg

My next mistake was doing a Google search. I found all kinds of results stating that Optima voids the warranty if you purchase from any online retailer, including Amazon. This really had me pissed off, but luckily Marcia stepped in and advised me to do a chat for help.

This process couldn't have been simpler. I started a chat, gave them a few pieces of info, and in just a few minutes had a new battery being shipped. So, the point of my story is to share that if you've ordered an Optima battery from Amazon, it is under warranty. I don't know if sending an email to that address would have worked, but I don't know why you'd do that with the chat feature available.

AmazonChatBattery.jpg
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member K7DCL's Avatar
    Virgil,

I think the point of your story is to ask Marcia first.

4x4 Ham Member
    Not that it matters in this case but I thought yellow and red both have 3 year warranty now. Blue was 1 or 2 if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by K7DCL View Post
    I think the point of your story is to ask Marcia first.
    You'd think I'd know better by now.

Quote Originally Posted by AD7AS View Post
    Not that it matters in this case but I thought yellow and red both have 3 year warranty now. Blue was 1 or 2 if I remember correctly.
    Yes, the Optima Yellowtop automotive batteries carry a 36 month warranty. I ordered the D31T which has the top screw posts and is considered commercial with a 24 month warranty. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...uetop-warranty
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

4x4 Ham Member
    Ok makes sense.

Thanks for posting how to get warranty, I always wondered about it for Amazon.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    For what it's worth, when the Red Cross had the fleet of comms vehicles built on Ford Excursion chasis, we ran Optima batteries. One of the things we noticed is that it was not uncommon to discover low voltages in batteries that sat for a couple weeks without being on a float charge or the vehicle being operated. I worked with the guys in Texas who supported the fleet and knew first hand how many failed after sitting idly for a few weeks. Luckily, we were always able to get them replaced under warranty but it left me with a bad feeling about Optima batteries.
    Last edited by N2TFS; 08-22-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Charlie - N2TFS
    '10 Wrangler JK 2 Dr | Life's short - play dirty!

TYT 9800 | Yaesu FTM-400 XDR | TYT UV-8000D | Yaesu VX-7R

4x4 Ham Member
    Glad you got things sorted out.The how to is priceless for thous with optima issues.
    My first Optima lasted 7.5 years in my Cherokee. It was still kinda working when I replaced it. The second Made in Mexico Optima lasted 2.5 years in my dad's truck. They are not worth buying anymore. It's really a bummer...

R

R

Woo hoo. I arrived home from work 4 days later and the new battery was sitting by the front door.

20170826_103310.jpg
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.