Thread: Has anyone used a TM-D710GA with aprsdroid? Is it even possible?

Has anyone used a TM-D710GA with aprsdroid? Is it even possible?

I am looking for a good solution and as you all know the choices are endless. Has anyone used aprsdroid to display data from a TM-D710GA. Seems like the best of both worlds. A highly functional aprs and a display that now works with BCN

Another option I was considering was a Byonics TT4 with blue tooth and a TM-V71A to aprsdroid. I chose that because I want to be able to digipeat.

Currently I use a Mobilink TNC2 and a cheep Chinese radio with a separate radio for coms. It works great but low power and will not digipeat and uses two antennas.

Another choice I guess would keep the separate radio and add a Byonics MTT4BT-40. This still has two antennas and costs a ton!

Any experience or suggestions are welcome.

Administrator Supporting Member K7VZ's Avatar
    Hmm, not APRSDroid, but Gary, Chris, and Paul were linking external devices to the Kenwood radios.

http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php...ion-in-2006-TJ
    http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php?4107-Mobile-APRSIS
    Virgil - K7VZ
    Offroad and on the air.

Thanks I will look at those threads. The reason for asking as you know Back Country Navigator will now plot aprsdroid information. If this would work with 710ga it would be awesome setup

4x4 Ham Member
    I presume you have seen this on the APRSDROID site? There appears to be a limitation... "However, APRSdroid will only display information. Own position beacons, Messaging and other APRS functions will not work from APRSdroid. The displayed information only consists of callsigns and positions (you can use the map in that way)." If you are looking at just displaying the data on a map, it sounds like it will work.

I have an Android headunit in my JK, so I too, am looking in to this, but haven't tried it yet.

Yes I have seen this on the APRSDROID site and it looks like it will work. I was hoping before I spend over $500 on a radio I would find someone who actually did it and could confirm that it works well. Because the radio itself has all the other functions built in I am not sure it matters if it is just display. I was planing to use it with Backcountry Navigator for some of the events I do. I would like to be able to use the radio as a digipeater as well. As you know we are often far from the nearest I-gate and many in my group are running the 5 watt radios for aprs.

Actually yes, Paul, KF7QGC had some success with it. Had it running on his and my andriod tablets. Maybe send him a PM and see if he remembers anything of what we did. We were importing positions from aprs on the radios to the tablet. However, it only displays positioning, it will not send messages or beacon. That must be done with the radio. At least the way we had it where we were running it offline. It worked pretty good from what I remember, but that was a year or two ago.

If you PM Paul, and don't get a response shot me a PM and I will nudge him to look at the sight and check the PM.