Thread: which robust HF mobile whip?

New 4x4 Ham Member

which robust HF mobile whip?

Right, I've destroyed three mobile helical whips, and of those I have had to repair or service them repeatedly, and now I want a really solid one I can give a good beating.

I don't want any tubular nonsense with motorized sliding plastic doohicky with o-ring sealed whatshisname, I want a STRONG mobile whip that will go to hell and back. Seriously, the offroading I do I wouldn't be surprised if the antenna tip touched the ground on occasion. I don't need to hit it on overhead bridges at a hundred miles an hour - I just need it to not snap itself in two on its' own accord!

Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Steve

4x4 Ham Member
    what bands are you using when youre wheeling? i am a former police officer and have worked rural areas most often. i was giving this topic consideration as well. what i was thinking is to get a steel whip cb antenna and cutting it to the length or lengths that i needed with a spring base. i was thinking of cutting one for dual band vhf uhf. and another for 6m and maybe another band but not sure which one. the steel whip is very durable. i also toyed with the idea making a firestick looking ham stick antennas with the same concept in mind. hope this helps if i gain any ground on my own project ill let you know.

4x4 Ham Member
    me again lol. also if youre talking hf antennas i saw a nvis styled antenna which folded flat on the roof rack and was erected when needed. if i find the link ill post it for you.

I have broke 3 hamsticks in the last 2 years, though I am only out $45 I have decided to go the tuner and 102" whip route.
    It's not the best option but it's pretty dang tough.

4x4 Ham Member
    the only real answer here is a 108" whip
    and a tuner like the AH-4 or what ever LDG or SGC sells
    even MFJ is in the game now
    tie it down in the woods
    let her stand on the road

ohh and Breedlove for mounts

Selection_171.jpg Selection_172.jpg

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member Jerry's Avatar
    Wish I had joined in earlier, but better late than never. I like the idea of a 102" stainless steel whip with a tuner. I doubt it will perform very well on 80 and 40m, but better than nothing for a single, all band, tough, off road antenna. In reading the ads for remote tuners it seems that SGC is the only one that claims their tuners will tune a 102" whip to the 80m band. All the others go as far as 40m with a whip. Just something to check into.

I have never talked with anyone who has tried this setup and would like to hear some personal testimony.

For the time being I am living with Ham Stick style mobile antennas.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

New 4x4 Ham Member
    I use the 102" tip and an SGC tuner, i have had great signal reports on 40M and up. I haven't worked much 80m so I'm not sure of real world performance. below are pictures of my set up. the tuner is below the tool box the mount is attached to.

IMG_0328.jpgIMG_0670.jpg

the light next to the feed point has since been removed, it caused SWR problems. Ive done about everything to it and it still won't break. even when i hit a sand dune and shot the tool boxes in to the front of the bed ripping the coax from the soldered connector it worked (yes with the less than ideal coax). best $20 investment I've made for a while.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member Jerry's Avatar
    Good to hear first hand, thanks. It would be interesting to check the swr on 80m, if not results from an actual contact.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Anyone know, has SGC gone out of business?

4x4 Ham Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC0VH View Post
    Anyone know, has SGC gone out of business?
    No... but they did move.
    http://www.sgcworld.com/

Rich
    AD7C

Quote Originally Posted by AD7C View Post
    No... but they did move.
    http://www.sgcworld.com/

Rich
    AD7C
    That's what their website says but HRO, Universal and Gigaparts all have zero stock or no longer list their products. Their own website (click on "Purchase" or try to go to a product page) give 404 errors. Shrug. I was thinking of picking up a SGC 237 but can't figure out where to buy one.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC0VH View Post
    That's what their website says but HRO, Universal and Gigaparts all have zero stock or no longer list their products. Their own website (click on "Purchase" or try to go to a product page) give 404 errors. Shrug. I was thinking of picking up a SGC 237 but can't figure out where to buy one.
    They do marine HF as well, or at least did. Maybe a marine dealer like West Marine would have one?