Thread: which robust HF mobile whip?

New 4x4 Ham Member

which robust HF mobile whip?

Right, I've destroyed three mobile helical whips, and of those I have had to repair or service them repeatedly, and now I want a really solid one I can give a good beating.

I don't want any tubular nonsense with motorized sliding plastic doohicky with o-ring sealed whatshisname, I want a STRONG mobile whip that will go to hell and back. Seriously, the offroading I do I wouldn't be surprised if the antenna tip touched the ground on occasion. I don't need to hit it on overhead bridges at a hundred miles an hour - I just need it to not snap itself in two on its' own accord!

Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Steve

4x4 Ham Member
    what bands are you using when youre wheeling? i am a former police officer and have worked rural areas most often. i was giving this topic consideration as well. what i was thinking is to get a steel whip cb antenna and cutting it to the length or lengths that i needed with a spring base. i was thinking of cutting one for dual band vhf uhf. and another for 6m and maybe another band but not sure which one. the steel whip is very durable. i also toyed with the idea making a firestick looking ham stick antennas with the same concept in mind. hope this helps if i gain any ground on my own project ill let you know.

4x4 Ham Member
    me again lol. also if youre talking hf antennas i saw a nvis styled antenna which folded flat on the roof rack and was erected when needed. if i find the link ill post it for you.

I have broke 3 hamsticks in the last 2 years, though I am only out $45 I have decided to go the tuner and 102" whip route.
    It's not the best option but it's pretty dang tough.

4x4 Ham Member
    the only real answer here is a 108" whip
    and a tuner like the AH-4 or what ever LDG or SGC sells
    even MFJ is in the game now
    tie it down in the woods
    let her stand on the road

ohh and Breedlove for mounts

Selection_171.jpg Selection_172.jpg