Thread: Does anyone here know anything about “Land Ops”?

New 4x4 Ham Member

Does anyone here know anything about “Land Ops”?

Does anyone here know anything about “Land Ops”? (I see a handful of posts mentioning LandOps on the 4x4ham forum from 2011 thru 2013 and one each last year and this year)

On QRZ.com forums, I stumbled upon some videos about and by a group called “Land Ops”.
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ansion.582894/
    There are a lot of comments there.

Land Ops http://landops.com/ calls itself an “Adventure Radio Club” – sounds like fun!

I watched a bunch of their videos on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/LandOps1
    it seems like:
    • A Jeep Rally
    • Competitive Geocaching
    • All coordinated over ham radio
    • In a Field Day style operation with camping
    • Practicing emcom/public service radio operating procedures
    • With a high-energy professional videographer in the club.

I enjoy the outdoors, my truck can drive on dirt, I know how to work a GPS, I LOVE field day (which, despite ARRL’s claims to the contrary, is a radio-sport contest) but I’ve never done any serious emcomm or public service, but it might be education to learn the operating procedures.

I prefer not to go to California. But don’t need to since we have plenty of desert here in Arizona. And even more fun things we freedom-loving Arizonans like to do and toys to play with….

Is there any "Adventure Radio Club" like that here in AZ?

Seems to me, based on the name, 4x4ham should be such a club!

Is there any interest in starting up some outdoor/off-highway driving/camping/radio events?

Poole
    AA4Q

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member
    Poole,

I've seen their website and videos and agree with you. It appeals to me as well. I inquired if they had any AZ-based members or activities planned. The reply was that they are expanding and willing to work with any individuals or groups that would like to coordinate with them. I also mentioned Land Ops to a couple of the folks coordinating Quartzfest in January and they said they would reach out to them to see if they could come to Quartzsite and do a presentation for the group. I don't know the status of that request but I guess I could check back to see where it stands. I've talked to a couple ham buddies locally who have some interest as well. It seems this would be a good time of year to try and drum up some interest and something similar here. I'll let you know if we hear anything back from the Land Ops folks regarding Quartzfest.

Charlie
    N2TFS
    Charlie - N2TFS
    '10 Wrangler JK 2 Dr | Life's short - play dirty!

TYT 9800 | Yaesu FTM-400 XDR | TYT UV-8000D | Yaesu VX-7R

4x4 Ham Member
    i looks pretty cool to me. but being just a couple years in the hobby and still a tech and given that my club is small with mostly senior hams that dont do much of anything i dont see it becoming popular in south gerogia. lol. but i would love to at least hang out at there net control and monitor the event.

Russ Chung KI6MLU forwarded this thread to me and after reading the question and replies I guess perhaps an update is due .
    I'm Chris Doering KI6QBM President of Land Ops ARC (ARRL affiliated club).

The club is locally based in California, but has recently expanded membership from Coast to Coast at Landops.org membership site. The key to this expansion are individual operators and/or clubs that would like to incorporate the Land Ops style of adventure. Tutorial videos are being produced just for this purpose. In addition, if a group has at least one HF operator they can do what is called concurrent games (ops). Land Ops is currently expanding into HF mobile to mobile, mobile to base, etc...

These two ingredients make it possible to participate in Land Ops style games everywhere.

The video tutorial #5 might shed a little light here, but taken out of context of the series it might NOT describe Land Ops to the fullest especially regarding the navigational aspects.
    For what it's worth I'll post it below:

New 4x4 Ham Member
    We would love to see new “chapters” formed around the country. All it takes is 2-3 individual organizers who are willing to get things started in their area. We started using Meetup as our initial way of reaching out, but a local club is a perfect platform to start some LandOps adventures. Now that we are putting the playbook on the LandOps.org website, the “secret sauce” is being shared for groups outside of California. As a 5 year member, I can vouch for good fun, as well as a way to improve radio, navigation, off-road, and team skills.

Quote Originally Posted by N2TFS View Post
    Poole,

I've seen their website and videos and agree with you. It appeals to me as well. I inquired if they had any AZ-based members or activities planned. The reply was that they are expanding and willing to work with any individuals or groups that would like to coordinate with them. I also mentioned Land Ops to a couple of the folks coordinating Quartzfest in January and they said they would reach out to them to see if they could come to Quartzsite and do a presentation for the group. I don't know the status of that request but I guess I could check back to see where it stands. I've talked to a couple ham buddies locally who have some interest as well. It seems this would be a good time of year to try and drum up some interest and something similar here. I'll let you know if we hear anything back from the Land Ops folks regarding Quartzfest.

Charlie
    N2TFS
    Hi Charlie, I'm the founder and Pres of Land Ops ARC. I will be attending Quartzfest for my first time in January 2018. It all sounds like Ham heaven to me. Hope to see you there.

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KI6MLU's Avatar
    (The way I first learned about Land Ops was because Chris (KI6QBM) posted an invitation to a Land Ops event a few years ago in 4x4Ham.) I think that Land Ops should schedule an "op" during Quartzfest so that hams from Arizona could get a feel for a typical event.
    Russ - KI6MLU

Hey Poole AA4Q,

Some of our members and organizers are saying that Land Ops should conduct one of our "ops" while we're in AZ for Quartzfest. Would you join us if we did one near there around that time?

If you plan a Quartzfest op, count me in. I usually spend the week out there and would definitely make time to participate.
    Charlie - N2TFS

ok, We'll look into the possibilities. BTW, where and what trails do you use to take the off road tours? Or is that a secret? Was thinking maybe to keep it simple and incorporate it into your off road drives??

Let me do some checking and see if I can get a lead on trails they are considering.
    Charlie - N2TFS

Let me do some checking and see if I can get a lead on trails they are considering this year.
    Charlie - N2TFS

Quote Originally Posted by N2TFS View Post
    Let me do some checking and see if I can get a lead on trails they are considering this year.
    ok Charlie. If it doesn't fit, we can plan on doing a separate trip, something simple, what we call a "mini op" during a different time.

New 4x4 Ham Member
    http://quartzfest.org/ 21-27-Jan-18

It could be fun! I think I'm free that time of the month on the weekend days.

Lets put together a 4x4ham team for the AZ side of the river!

AA4Q

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member KI6MLU's Avatar
    A LandOps briefing is on the Quartzfest schedule for Tuesday afternoon, January 23 at 1400 in Session Area #1 (fire ring). This briefing is intended to give first timers an orientation about the types of "operations" that LandOps conducts.

An Operation is on the schedule for Wednesday, January 24 from 0900 to 1300. You need an off-road capable vehicle, a GPS and ham radio. Optional: APRS.

http://quartzfest.org/program.html
    Russ - KI6MLU