Thread: Announcing: The ARRL International Grid Chase!

W7AZO

Announcing: The ARRL International Grid Chase!

A new and exciting operating event will kick off on January 1, 2018, at 0000 UTC (New Year’s Eve in US time zones), when the ARRL International Grid Chase gets under way. The year-long event hopes to build on the success of the highly successful 2016 National Parks on the Air (NPOTA). The objective is to work stations on any band (except 60 meters) in as many different Maidenhead grid squares a...

More...

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member WB9YZU's Avatar
    I'm going to try and carefully word this so I don't sound like an old fart (which I am - hee hee).

I use and collect Grids on 6M and 2M all the time. In times of no band openings, they help you point your beam. You used to be able to narrow it up by the call sign, but that's a horse of a different color.
    In contests, in order for an exchange to be valid, the format is usually (Call, SIG Report, Grid). Copy only the 1st or last one of those items, and it doesn't count; have to have both.

If I understand the rules of this HF Grid Square contest, it is limited to use of LOTW, and LOTW will look up the Grid for you.
    Since few people in contests give real signal reports (5X9 or 5NN being the norm), asking for a SIG report in a contest is meaningless - but LOTW requires it in the ADIF file or it will not record the contact.
    My point is, it's not much of a Contest and more of a gimmick to get people on the air.

That said, I hope it gets people on the air, but I fear that it will create more "Contacts" than QSOs.
    73's Ron