Thread: LEDs with low radiated RFI

New 4x4 Ham Member

LEDs with low radiated RFI

I'm looking for recommendations for LED lighting that has very low radiated RF Interference. I own some inexpensive Cree-based lights, but the radiated RFI desensitizes my 2m/70cm receiver front end by at least 25%. I've tried chokes, grounding, bonding, ferrite beads, etc. and nothing works (except, of course, turning OFF the LEDs).

I'd also entertain going with non-LED lights. I want to stick to a small +/- 4" form factor, if possible.

The website information from many of the major brand manufacturers doesn't really tell me much, so I'm hoping someone out here has some experience/recommendations.

Thanks

New 4x4 Ham Member
    Well, both Rigid Industries and Brooking Industries both replied quickly to my inquiries, and claim their RFI is minimized. Brooking products are used in law enforcement equipment, so I'd guess they'd be cognizant of any RFI issues. Still, I'm checking with a good friend who works with law enforcement vehicles & radio equipment. I'll post findings.

Interestingly, QST magazine published an article this month (Feb. 2018) about LEDs and radios...and the author had very similar RFI problems. Surprise.

-NR6T

4x4 Ham Member Supporting Member N1BAY's Avatar
    As you have found out, made in USA products will be better. I was on a run with one guy that had a couple cheap Chinese LED bars on his rig. I was getting interference from 100' away. He could not even use his CB to receive, it was so bad. I referred to him as "Pig Pen". Uh, yeah, Pig Pen you wanna back off another ten. It's gettin intense up here.

But, yeah, stick with American, brand name companies. Although, I have heard complaints of some Rigid products throwing off RFI to the car stereo.
    Sarcasm warning indicator: ON